Like most of the country I have been obsessed with watching #InMyFeelingsChallenge videos, especially those made by celebrities. This week in particular, since I was definitely all up in my feelings as a chapter in my life and the lives of my family came to an unexpected end. Analyzing all that went wrong and considering measures I could have taken to ensure a different outcome, I am reminded of how easy it is to get caught up in feelings. Ultimately decisions made were in the best interest of all involved, but I would be lying if I said it did not hurt. Life is hard and the struggle is real; especially, when it comes to adulting and parenting.
In a previous post on the difference between being assertive and aggressive, I touch base on the influence emotions have on the two approaches. The way we feel about a situation and those involved can have positive and negative effects, so it is important to thoroughly go over details. Although there are many great memories to be cherished, and many will be missed, people come and go in our lives for a reason. Moving on and accepting change is one of the most challenging aspects of life.
Practices I like to exercise when making decisions relating to a change in my life include…
- Considering the benefits and drawbacks to the options surrounding the decision.
- Thinking of alternatives and weighing-in on their pros and cons.
- Make a final decision and stick to it. Do not allow emotions to dissuade a decision based on facts and logic.
- Acknowledge and deal with all the feelings that popped up during the execution of your decision.
- Take time to de-stress before beginning the process of letting go.
- Make sure to let go. Festering too long on what was or what could have been is unhealthy and hinders the growth process.
Embrace change and all the feelings that come along with it. A journey is not complete without new experiences and opportunities to learn more about yourself and the world.
Well Resolifers, how have you coped with making a tough decision that ultimately changed your life? How did you deal with the aftermath? Comment below.
Anyone else taking part in the latest challenge craze? If so, I would love to see your rendition. Follow me on Instagram @reso_life and tag me in your post. Want to read more, check out previous posts, and subscribe to get notified of new posts.